Wednesday, November 3, 2010

No One Makes Fun of Alopecia, Not even Kevin Garnett

Fights over alopecia happen all the time. Some occur at breakfast, others go down at the grocery store, and I’ve even seen them happen on golf courses. But as Piston’s Charlie Villanueva and Celtic’s forward Kevin Garnett proved last night, alopecia fights get really ugly when they happen on the basketball court.  

Detroit’s power-forward Charlie Villanueva has been as hairless as a pool ball since birth. And after joining the NBA in 2007, he’s become an outspoken leader for the global alopecia community; hosting various foundations and making sizable donations to children’s alopecia causes. 

Like any 6’11", 235-pound person with alopecia, Villanueva can deal with people shallow and asinine enough to ridicule what is a very serious affliction. Even if it’s Kevin Garnett.: After a particularly rough play in last night’s Detroit-Boston game, KG called Villanueva a ‘Cancer Patient’. 

The mainstream media shies away from just how ugly and lowly trash talking gets in the NBA. Some of the dirtiest and vilest things I’ve ever heard have been sitting courtside at NBA games. I’d be better off taking my son to a Harlem comedy club. But alopecia has always been a no-go zone, (so has cancer for that matter) and it should stay that way. If anything its just stirs up too much beef the next day, as we’re now seeing on Villanueva’s twitter feed: 

“KG called me a cancer patient, I’m pissed because, u know how many people died from cancer, and he’s tossing it like it’s a joke,”

“I wouldn’t even trip about that, but a cancer patient, I know way (too) many people who passed away from it, and I have a special place (for) those.”

“KG talks alot of crap, he’s prob never been in a fight, I would love to get in a ring with him, I will expose him.” 

Kevin Garnett owes Mr. Villanueva and anyone inflicted with alopecia a sincere and thought out apology And,  anyway, Kevin Garnett is hardly the paragon of hairiness; the guy looks like he suffers from alopecia himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment